3,000 Deaths per year are due to distracted driving:
On average, our eyes are off the road for 4.6 seconds while texting on our cell phones. If we are going 55mph, THAT IS THE EQUIVALENT OF DRIVING THE LENGTH OF A FOOTBALL FIELD BLINDFOLDED!
Prevent Distracted Driving:
1) Remove the temptation and turn your phone off before starting the car. ** Statistics show that hands-free phones are just as distracting as hand-held phones.
2) Inform clients, associates and business partners that calls will be returned when you are no longer driving. This will also give you the opportunity to do some safety teaching with those people.
3) Pull over to a safe location and put the vehicle in park if a call must be made.
4) Enter addresses into your GPS before driving.
5) Avoid eating or drinking in the car. Spilling an ice cold drink or steaming hot cup of coffee on your lap is definitely a distraction.
6) If you are a passenger and the driver receives a phone call, offer to take the call for them and ask that they not be distracted by the phone while driving.
Safe Travels Everybody!